When I was finishing college just over 10 years ago, I don't think I knew anyone who was transgender. I'm not sure I even knew that some people identify as trans. For young people today, the situation is radically different. Over the past decade, there has been a huge increase in the number of young people identifying as trans. I can almost guarantee that any teenager you know will know at least one, probably more than one, trans-identifying teen.
How should we understand what's going on among teenagers? How do we best help young people to navigate this context? And how do we best support the young people we know who themselves identify as transgender? These are some of the key questions addressed in this talk.
- Understanding transgender (03:27)
- The current situation among young people (08:07)
- A Christian perspective (22:40)
- Preparing - How do we prepare children and young people to navigate this cultural context? (33:50)
- Walking - How do we walk with a young person who is identifying as trans? (51:20)
- Q&A (1:06:57)
A full handout for the session, including a list of recommended resources, can be found here.