In this episode we discuss how the Bible upholds the view that men and women have absolutely equal value and dignity, looking at how Jesus treated women and recognising the role that women played in his ministry and the growth of the early church. We also contrast Jesus' example of servant leadership with some of the power struggles in church and society today.
We suggest how we can push back against gender stereotypes and promote body positivity to value the diverse experinces, interests and skills of both genders.
We also discuss the genuine differences between women and men which mean that we aren't simply interchangeable, and look at how we can work in cooperation rather than competition with each other.
Resources mentioned and related
- The Plausibility Problem Ed Shaw
- The Plausibility Problem: A Review Steve Ward
- What Should We Do With Gender Stereotypes? Andrew Bunt
- What Do ‘Man’ and ‘Woman’ Mean? Rebecca McLaughlin
- Crafts, Cream Teas and Chrysanthemums? How We Can Run Better Women’s Events? Anne Witton
- Embodied Preston Sprinkle
- Embodied: A Review Andrew Bunt
- What God Has to Say About Our Bodies Sam Allberry
- What God Has to Say About Our Bodies: A Review Dan Reid
- Liberated Karen Soole
- A Brief Theology of Periods (Yes, Really) Rachel Jones
- A Brief Theology of Periods (Yes, Really): A Review Anne Witton
- The Case Against the Sexual Revolution Louise Perry
- The Case Against the Sexual Revolution: A Review Ed Shaw
- Are Women Human? Dorothy L. Sayers
- Marriage as a Trailer
- What Is Sexuality for? Ed Shaw